Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] TapeAlert cleaning, TLD, and Pools

2002-05-16 10:01:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] TapeAlert cleaning, TLD, and Pools
From: Will.Enestvedt AT jwu DOT edu (William Enestvedt)
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 10:01:03 -0400
I asked:

> If I want my DLT robots to clean themselves automatically...do
> the cleaning tapes need to be in a specific Pool?

   I got several answers about frequency-based cleaning vs. on-demand
cleaning, but no mention of the importance of a cleaning tape's Volume Pool.
I have decided that it is not considered during backups.
   I dug out my manuals again, and this time I found an interesting note on
p. 116 of the "NetBackup DataCenter Media Manager System Administrator's
Guide - UNIX" (in the part about changing the attributes for a volume). It
says, at the top of the instructions for changing a volume's Volume Pool, in
between a pair of fat, black lines, "Note: Does not apply to cleaning
tapes."
   Curiously, the Java GUI will let you try to change a cleaning tape's
Volume Pool, which the motif interface doesn't even make it available.
   I'm going to try David Markham's shell script (in his post of 5/15/2002)
to watch for downed drives, and give up on this.
   Thanks to everyone for their help.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt