Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Classes don't start

2002-04-19 14:58:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Classes don't start
From: ron AT linux DOT ca (Ron Lyman)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:58:58 -0400 (EDT)
I have some great leads for poking around and trying to learn what is
happening.
Thanks David, Penelope, and Larry.

Some time ago I created a whole bunch of log directories.  Lo and behold, there
be log files!

I have a feeling something is really buggered with this box.  I will poke around
and see what I can learn.  Hopefully I won't bother you guys too much.

The bpschedreq returned nothing.  Here is one line from the bpbdm log during
that time:

2002/04/19      13:18:05        okboneyard              Error   cannot get
image
info...C:\VERITAS\NetBackup\db\images\okexchange\1019000000\DAILY_1019127418_FULL

Also, the manually launched backup is failing (it seems consistent now) after
backing up all the files.  The message is "no entity was found(227)" in the
status screen.  I'll look through the copious log files and try to correlate
error messages with events.

Is there a guide online describing the log files?  i.e. what is bpdbm?  I
assume
this is in the SA guide.  I'll spend time reading this this afternoon and over
the weekend.  If there is more info on a website anyone has handy, I would like
to see it.

*sigh* so many problems^wlearning oportunities, so little time.  ;)

Fortunately, this server is only running NetBackup (and serving as BDC) so I
can
bounce it and stop/start services to my heart's content.  I just need more
hours
in the day!

w.r.t Larry's information regarding backup window and frequency of the class...

I have the frequency set per schedule in the class.  So, the MON schedule of the
DAILY class is set to 1 week retention, and 4 day frequency.  This may not be
ideal, I didn't really have much to base the numbers on other than gut feeling
:).  The schedule is set to begin at midnight, and at 11 pm I have a batch file
run that forces expiration of the media - this is due to past problems with
media not being available.  We are forcing NBU to use specific tapes on specific
days - I schedule tapes on a quarterly basis, and make NBU bend to my will.
Well, I try.  ;)

Thanks,
Ron.