Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO testing

2002-03-20 09:55:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO testing
From: dday AT sous DOT com (Day, David)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 08:55:44 -0600
>HP, does not certify (or recommend) their drives to be used over
>fibre/fibre bridges, but I was successful with the 3250 LVD.
How does this differ from running HP's HVD LTO drives in their 4/40
tape library with their fibre channel interface?  I'm not familiar
with their various configurations but I am about to go from scsi to
fibre with this unit.

>But performance is definitely better than DLT...
At the moment I am running a DLT7000 library and the HP 4/40 on identical
Sun boxes and both scsi attached with Legato Networker.  The DLT7000s are
getting me 5-7mb/s and the LTO 12-17mb/s with burst to the high 20s.  I
suspect I should be doing better than this but I'll be transitioning out
of Legato soon.

The LTOs are a few months old and I have had to replace the drives.  I
suspect a timing issue between my host and the drives and/or firmware
updates to be a root cause rather than the drive.  We did a great deal
of tinkering with the st.conf file before getting consistent results.

So at this point I'm very pleased with the reliability of both the DLT and
LTO drives, should be getting better performance from LTO but am waiting
for my migration from Legato/scsi to NetBackup/fibre.

I'm very interested in hearing more in this thread.  Thanks for the input
>From others using LTO.

David Day