Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup routing

2001-08-27 12:31:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup routing
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 12:31:22 -0400 (EDT)
When the REQUIRED_INTERFACE parameter is not used, NBU doesn't do
routing at all, it just sends the data and leaves it up to the
operating system.

It sounds like for whatever reason the path chosen by the OS wants to
route packets via the new hme.  You could use REQUIRED_INTERFACE if
you have only one NIC that you'll ever want to use in the backup
servers.

I would suggest, though, that you fix the routing issue:

1) REQUIRED_INTERFACE only works when you only want to use ONE
   interface.  Will this ALWAYS be the case?

2) Someday in the future, will the admin know why it was set up this
   way?  Now's the time to fix the real problem, when you know exactly
   what happened and why.

3) REQUIRED_INTERFACE only works for NetBackup.  See #2 for argument
   why to fix the problem now, not later when you find out some other
   application is broken by this also.

HTH,