Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Advice on tape stacker for creating offsite tapes.

2001-08-27 12:51:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Advice on tape stacker for creating offsite tapes.
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 12:51:18 -0400 (EDT)
I like the idea of duplicating to a separate device.  That way you
don't have people touching the one you really care about.  And leaving
the original tapes alone, untouched, not being bounced around in a
truck, not going through different environmental changes, etc, is a
very very good idea.

However, when using anything w/o a barcode reader, you're relying on a
human being to tell NBU which tape is in which slot.  Correctly.
Every time.

I wonder if your hardware vendor would allow you to trade up one of
the units for the next larger.  Then you could use this for backups,
and the other 48 for duplication.  You wouldn't think that the cost
would be all that much greater if you have the same number of drives
and robotic units - might even be cheaper than buying a stacker.

You don't say what DLT you're using, but you may want to consider
moving up to 8000's for the extra capacity (40GB vs 35 or 20).

I'd be tempted to stick with either the same vendor I already have
(easier to keep firmware, etc, up to date, better for support, etc),
or maybe purchase from the Unix vendor (may get better support when
all the pieces come from same company).  Then again, I work for a
software company, YMMV.