Networker

[Networker] Change in name and scope of this list

2013-09-13 11:28:19
Subject: [Networker] Change in name and scope of this list
From: "Stanley R. Horwitz" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 15:23:02 +0000
Hello NetWorker list subscribers,

For those of you who don’t know, I run this list and I have been doing so for
roughly the past 20 years. I am writing now because of two changes I feel need
to be made to this list.

Those of you who are aware of the direction in which EMC is moving with regard
to its BRS product suite, now that it is in a multi-year process to merge
backup solutions to into a single unified solution. Here at Temple, we are
moving from an environment that includes a NetWorker server that backs up to
Data Domain, then clones to LTO-5 tape and an Avamar grid which we run
separately from NetWorker.

We intend to phase out NetWorker, go tapeless, but continue to leverage our DD
860 with our Avamar grid and focus our backup solution on Avamar. I expect this
transition to be completed in a month or two.

When that happens, my us of NetWorker will come to an end. NetWorker was and
still is a fantastic backup solution, but managing both Avamar and NetWorker is
rather pointless now that we have the means here to go tapeless. So that raises
the question, why should I continue hosting a NetWorker Listserv list? My
answer is to change the scope of the NetWorker list to reflect EMC’s path for
its data protection product suite and my own career as a data protection
engineer. So, I intend to expand the scope of this list to include all of EMC’s
BRS products (e.g., NetWorker, Avamar, Data Domain, DD Boost, and Avamar Data
Stores), This is the first change I have in mind.

With the change in scope comes the obvious need to rename the list and its
email address to something else. I am thinking of EMCDP-L and corresponding
email address EMCDP-L AT listserv.temple DOT edu. This is the second change. In
case you haven’t figured it out, the “DP” stands for “data protection.” I am
open to other names, so feel free to respond with any suggestions you have if
you don’t like my idea for a new name. The change in scope of the list is not
up to debate though.

Please also don't suggest EMCBRS-L to me. Considering that EMC can, and I
suspect will, change “BRS” in its marketing lingo to something else, I want a
more general name for the new generation of this list. I also want to end the
list’s name in “-L” to make it abundantly clear that it is a mailing list. This
is an omission I made when I originally took over running the NetWorker list,
which I intend to fix in its new name.

I would like to make this change one week from today. When this change happens,
this list’s web site and its URL will change as well its email address. In
addition, to make the transition easier for subscribers, I will make this
change in a way that will allow email to the list’s current email address to be
automatically redirected to the new email address for a period of a few months
(until I get around to closing the old list permanently). The list’s current
archives will also be moved under the new list’s web site and remain fully
accessible to subscribers.

In addition, the Avamar list I currently host will be closed. That list rarely
receives any postings and it will be redundant once this transition is done.