Networker

[Networker] NDMP Recover without original Filer

2013-07-03 03:51:28
Subject: [Networker] NDMP Recover without original Filer
From: MPieper <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 00:44:00 -0700
Hi jee,

thank you for your help.

As i said, i am not very proficient with Networker. I also was not involved
when those old backups were set up, I sort of inherited the whole thing...
The old setup was as following: The libray had 8 drives. All of them where
attached to the networker server. 4 of them where also connected to the old
filer. With jbconfig, the 4 drives attached only the the server where set up as
local drives, the 4 drives attached to the filer and the server where
configured as ndmp drives. Some time ago some of this config changed, and only
two drives remained that where both attached to the server and filer and
configured as ndmp drives. Ndmp backups and restores worked fine with this
reduced setup. Then the new filer came along with a completely new and separate
SAN, and i had to test the recovery of old filer data to the new filer.
When i did test the recovery, the first thing i did,was adding the new filer as
a client. Then i used the networker user program to redirect the ndmp restore.
I chose "restore", then selected the old client as source and the new client as
target, and chose a path on the new client in the recover options. I do not
know what really happened in the background, i only saw the recovered files end
up on the new filer, as intended.
I tried the same, now that the old filer is gone, and it does not work anymore.

When i do a mminfo -V -N <saveset> -r sumflags; it shows me "cbN"
When i do a mminfo -V -m <volumename>; it shows me an empty column "flags"

If i understood you correctly, since the 's' flag is not present, there is no
way around to attaching the drives to the new filer?

-----------------------------

Hi,

Something on your description of the problem is not right. Let me explain why.

When you run NDMP backups to tapes directly attached to the filer, the backups
are only recoverable on other NDMP filers configured as NDMP clients and with
locally attached (FC) tape drives.

However you say that
" The new filer is an EMC VNX5500, with no drives directly attached. "
AND
"Before the old filer was decommisioned (while the drives where still connected
to it) i tried to restore NDMP data to the new filer. This worked"

That's not possible. You must have done something different.

Maybe the tapes were connected to the new filer when you ran the recover
OR
maybe you ran the recovery on the old filer and then copied the recovered files
across.
OR
the backups were sent to remote tape drives (e.g. on the server) using option
-M on the NDMP backup command.

How to identify the type of an NDMP backup
Check the ssflags and sumflags of those backups with mminfo. All NDMP backups
have the N flag. If your backups used the -M option then they will also have
the 's' flag.

If the 's' flag isn't present and you could recover those backup on the new
filer, then the tapes must have been attached to it (or you ran the recoveries
on the old filer).

If the flag is present then you didn't run the NDMP backups to the locally
attached (NDMP ) tape drives on the old filer.