Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP Recover without original Filer

2013-07-02 14:49:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP Recover without original Filer
From: jee <jee AT ERESMAS DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 19:42:59 +0100
Hi,

Something on your description of the problem is not right. Let me explain why.

When you run NDMP backups to tapes directly attached to the filer, the backups
are only recoverable on  other NDMP filers configured as NDMP clients and with
locally attached (FC) tape drives.

However you say that
" The new filer is an EMC VNX5500, with no drives directly attached. "
AND
"Before the old filer was decommisioned (while the drives where still connected
to it) i tried to restore NDMP data to the new filer. This worked"

That's not possible. You must have done something different.

Maybe the tapes were connected to the new filer when you ran the recover
 OR
maybe you ran the recovery on the old filer and then copied  the recovered
files
across.
OR
the backups were sent to remote tape drives (e.g. on the server) using option
-M on the NDMP backup command.

How to identify the type of an NDMP backup
Check the ssflags and sumflags of those backups with mminfo. All NDMP backups
have the N flag. If your backups used the -M option then they will also have
the 's' flag.

If the 's' flag isn't present and you could recover those backup on the new
filer, then the tapes must have been attached to it (or you ran the recoveries
on the old filer).

If the flag is present then you didn't run the NDMP backups to the locally
attached  (NDMP ) tape drives on the old filer.

Directed recovery
-------------------------

For directed recoveries you need to add the user and hostname of the target
filer on the remote access of the source filer (the client definition of the
old
client must exist and use the original client id -- mminfo can show the client
id)

Configure the old client (if removed )

If the client definition was removed then you need to recreate it. To do so you
need:

- the old client id
- any dummy hostname
- any some dummy IP
- Then (in this order)
---> add the dumm_IP dummy_name  to the etc hosts of the server
-->  create a client definition using the dummy name and old client ID.
--> add the user and newfiler hostname to the "remote access" field of the
"old"
client

Configure the new client
----------------------------------

The target filer (i.e. the new VNX filer) must be configured as an NDMP client.
the procedure is the same as on any other client plus:
- Enable the  NDMP option (ticj the NDMP check box)
- add use and password

Add the NDMP client to the SN list (under devices)

If you require NDMP drives, then you can do run the discovery of tape drives
from the NMC GUI (defined the VNX client as a SN first).

If scanning for drives doesn't work you will need to run
C:\>  inquire -N newfilername
 on the NW server. It will prompt for the NDMP username and password.
You can use jbconfig to configure the NDMP tape drives.

The procedure is described on the Networker admin guide.

jee