Networker

Re: [Networker] Relabel Volume

2013-02-14 15:48:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Relabel Volume
From: "Goslin, Paul" <PGoslin AT CINCOM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 20:47:55 +0000
If the tapes have important data on them that has not yet expired, you DO NOT
want to re-label them  as all data on the tape is then lost.

Networker should automatically take care of re-labeling them once every saveset
on a tape has expired, then the entire tape becomes 'recyclable' and able to be
re-labeled and re-used. The server will only re-label them when it needs media
from a specific pool to write to and none are available. If you have new
unlabeled tapes, 'auto media management' setting on the library allows them to
be labeled when needed automatically. This is also dependent on if the pool
allows them to be re-labled for to / from another pool... If they are relabeled
in the same pool as they were in before, the label may not change if the label
is also the tape barcode - this is normal. All our tapes use barcode labels
that are independent of the pool they belong to (we use LTO4 tapes with 4
different pools, 4 drives). Also the devices (tape drives) may have
restrictions by pool, so only specific drives can read/write to specific
pools... Check the pool configurations...