Networker

[Networker] Why cant I change the browse time on this CFI?

2011-09-21 14:54:50
Subject: [Networker] Why cant I change the browse time on this CFI?
From: bingo <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 11:54:21 -0700
To answer your questions:

1. Even if the index does not get updated because the pool doesn't have
the "Store index entries" turned on, what would happen if the group did
*NOT* have "no index save" checked? Obviously, nothing would have
changed in the index, thus no backup of the index to tape, but lets say
isntead that a full was being run, and not an incremental. Would NW send
a copy of the index to tape in that case even though no change was
affected on it?

You are right - these are different issues. The index backup is run via a
savegrp command while the index is generated (or not) for any backup, automatic
or manual. It just depends to which pool the data will be sent.

A differential index backup considers any change of the index of that client.
As as there changed nothing when the index has not been updated, nothing can
and will be backed up.

2. I'm unclear on why indexing being turned off for the pool would
preclude you from scanning the tape and adding that information to the
index? Is it the case that if the data was never indexed before then you
can't add it to the index later? Or are you instead referring to using
scanner to recover an index that was never written to tape? That
obviously would not be possible since it was never sent to tape.

The default option 'Store index entries' actually has 2 tasks:
  - it generates the CFI metadata and embeds it within the save stream already
at the client.
  - it send this info to the CFI at the server in real time.

By disabling it, you already switch of the CFI info generation - it is logical
that there will be nothing to retrieve when you run 'scanner' later. Try it
yourself.