Networker

Re: [Networker] volume retention question?

2011-07-05 11:02:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] volume retention question?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 10:57:29 -0400
On 07/05/11 00:37, bingo wrote:
So if that save set had not already expired then the volretent time
would have immediately changed as soon as I changed the clretent time,
without me having to run the 'nsrmm -o notrecyclable' command, correct?
What about the ssretent? Would that have changed to be the same as the
clretent, too?

I think i pointed out that it does not make sense to change the retention time
for an expired save set.

For me it makes sense. For example, suppose I want to stage a bunch of expired save sets to another volume. Staging involves cloning, but when I try to clone one of those save sets (nsrclone), I get an error like the following:

nsrmmdbd Media DB error: Save set ssid:3588482332 cloneid:1309224608 eligibility can not be cleared, retention time must be adjusted first

The cloning does work, and I have tested that recovering from the cloned copy produces the same data as recovering from the original, *BUT* the clone process takes an hour, even for a 3 KB file. It just hangs there forever.

However, if I instead first use 'nsrmm -e' to change the clretent time, and I then use 'nsrmm -o notrecyclable' to make it recoverable again (this also changes the ssretent time to match), then the cloning process does not hang and completes in a normal time frame. But I can't use the 'nsrmm -o' command until I've first run 'nsrmm -e', and I can't just run 'nsrmm -e'; otherwise, I'll get the same error and the same hang.

Yes - just try it on a recoverable save set.
In general, there is no difference between the ssretent an the clretent time
because the first save set instance already has a cloneid (timestamp).  By
using the cloneid to exactly specify the instance, you do not really need the
clretent any more. But i never personally verified that.

|This was sent by carsten_reinfeld AT avus-cr DOT de via Backup Central.

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -