Networker

Re: [Networker] volume retention question?

2011-07-04 15:31:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] volume retention question?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 15:28:38 -0400
On 07/02/11 07:41, bingo wrote:
If all save sets on a media should have the same retention policy, volretent =
retention date of the last save set.

Just check out:     mminfo -q "volume=<name>" -r volretent

Then change the retention of an early save set to a later date:         nsrmm
-e<date>  -S<ssid>

Then use the mminfo command to verify the new volretent time.

From 'mminfo', the volretent for volume1 was 01/12/12. I picked an older ssid that had already expired (ssretent=05/31/11; clretent=05/31/11). There are three clones of this ssid, so a total of four copies, including the original on volume1.

I ran this command:
nsrmm -e 02/01/12 -S ssid/cloneid

Here's what I discovered:
1. It *didn't* change the volretent for volume1, only the clretent of the clone instance. Also, the ssretent value was still unchanged. Likewise, none of the values for the other three copies was affected. Perhaps this was because I specified the ssid/cloneid pair instead of just the ssid?

2. Next, I ran 'nsrim -Xv' just in case this was necessary to pick up the change. Still no change. Hmm ...

3. Finally, I ran 'nsrmm -o notrecyclable -S ssid/cloneid' and this did three things:

o it changed the sumflags,ssflags,clflags values for the ssid/cloneid pair from 'cE vrEF E' to 'cr vrF', but none of the other three copies. The others remained as: 'cE vrEF E'

o it changed the ssretent value for the ssid/cloneid pair to match the new clretent value. Likewise, the ssretent value also changed for the other three copies. Now, all four have an ssretent of 02/01/12. However, it did *NOT* change the clretent values for the other three copies. Only the ssid/cloneid pair has the clretent of 02/01/12.

o It changed the volretent value to now be the same as the clretent value (02/01/12).

So, that all worked, in kind of a roundabout way.

Does this all sound reasonable?

Also, it doesn't appear that you can change the ssretent value unless you first use '-e' to change the clretent value and then use '-o notrecyclable' to change the mode. I haven't tried this on a non-expired save set, however.

George

(20) characters for the full savetime is probably too short. And showing the
'partial' time does not make sense.
If you want to see the complete time, set your size to 25 characters, then
decrease and find the limit.

|This was sent by carsten_reinfeld AT avus-cr DOT de via Backup Central.

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -