Networker

[Networker] volume retention question?

2011-07-04 17:02:38
Subject: [Networker] volume retention question?
From: bingo <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 14:00:53 -0700
Hi George,

see my comments within your text.

1. It *didn't* change the volretent for volume1, only the clretent of
the clone instance. Also, the ssretent value was still unchanged.
Likewise, none of the values for the other three copies was affected.
Perhaps this was because I specified the ssid/cloneid pair instead of
just the ssid?

>> What you actually want to do is changing a RECYCLABLE save set to
>> recoverable - this would be the same as "nsrmm -o recoverable
>> -SSID[/cloneid]" . This will not work. In fact this option does not even
>> exist for nsrmm. And do not forget - If this is an AFTD, the save set will
>> be deleted immediately after the expiration, for a FTD with the next index
>> check.

If you apply the command to a save set which has not expired yet, my statement
is correct.

2. Next, I ran 'nsrim -Xv' just in case this was necessary to pick up
the change. Still no change. Hmm ...

3. Finally, I ran 'nsrmm -o notrecyclable -S ssid/cloneid' and this did
three things:

o it changed the sumflags,ssflags,clflags values for the ssid/cloneid
pair from 'cE vrEF E' to 'cr vrF', but none of the other three copies.
The others remained as: 'cE vrEF E'

>> This is correct because you instructed NW just to change a specific instance.

o it changed the ssretent value for the ssid/cloneid pair to match the
new clretent value. Likewise, the ssretent value also changed for the
other three copies. Now, all four have an ssretent of 02/01/12. However,
it did *NOT* change the clretent values for the other three copies. Only
the ssid/cloneid pair has the clretent of 02/01/12.

>> Since a while, clone save sets may have a different (usually longer)
>> retention date than the backups. So they are treated independently.

o It changed the volretent value to now be the same as the clretent
value (02/01/12).

So, that all worked, in kind of a roundabout way.

Does this all sound reasonable?

Also, it doesn't appear that you can change the ssretent value unless
you first use '-e' to change the clretent value and then use '-o
notrecyclable' to change the mode. I haven't tried this on a non-expired
save set, however.