Networker

Re: [Networker] Q about Networker module for SQL/Databases and Applications

2011-02-16 10:35:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Q about Networker module for SQL/Databases and Applications
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 10:34:19 -0500
> NMM uses the SQL VSS Writer for backup and recovery, NMSQL uses the
> SQL Virtual Device (VDI) Interface . SQL VDI provides the ability to
> perform incremental (log) backups and any PIT recoveries, this is
> not supported via the SQL VSS Writer.
>
> Suggest you stay with NMSQL for SQL protection for now if you want
> these capabilities. If you use only SQL full recovery mode, NMM
> would be a good choice.

AH. No, we don't need PIT (Point In Time) recoveries; we always do fulls.
But I frequently see errors relating to VSS in my job logs (even on
machines where the VSS updates have been applied, or - like below - on
Win2008 R2 clients).

Things like:

C:\ 7281:save: VSS snapshot failed with error 0x80042301 -- VSS Backup or
Restore is not in the correct state for the operation, or the writer is
not in the correct state..
C:\ 7284:save: Networker will save the files without the snapshot.

If I do nothing, the problem usually disappears by the next night. Not
sure why it happens, but it doesn't seem to affect the quality of the
backups.

So I think I will stick with NMSQL. I have some SQL servers/clusters being
upgraded soon; perhaps I will try out the NMM client on one of those,
first.

Thanks