Networker

[Networker] Noobie- How to move ADVFILE save sets to Tape

2010-06-07 10:01:35
Subject: [Networker] Noobie- How to move ADVFILE save sets to Tape
From: wallace88 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 09:59:45 -0400
> I am trying to set it up so that my save sets, that currently go to an
> advfile disk library, will automatically be put on to tapes after they back
> up, or after X number of days.
>

> Actually,, now that I think of it, It might be easier to do it this way..
>
> I could clone it to tape immediately after it gets saved to disk, then just
> set that tape pool to expire every X number of days. I want to let the tapes
> be valid for 3 weeks. I will basically set up a group of tapes for each week
> .

If you are referring to the pool retention, the pool retention sets a minimum
retention time for the savesets that are saved to that pool.

The actual retention time that is set for the clone copy will be the greater of
1) the clone pool's retention time and 2) the current retention time for the
saveset that is being cloned.

So setting this to 3 weeks does not guarantee that the clone savesets will
expire when you expect it.  In addition, there may be other factors, for
example: savesets cannot expire so long as there are dependent savesets.