Networker

Re: [Networker] backup of share point server

2010-03-24 10:45:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] backup of share point server
From: "Ryan, Dan" <DRyan AT MEDPLUS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:43:03 -0400
Johannes

We are using Idera (http://www.idera.com/Content/Home.aspx) for backups and
also looked at the products from AvePoint
(http://www.avepoint.com/sharepoint-products/) as well.  For our company it
came down to features and cost.   With Idera, we have a product that can do
backups and can do granular recovery very easily.  That also makes other tools
that make managing SharePoint a lot easier.  Ave Point is another suite of
tools that offers a lot in terms of management and backups.

The trade-off for us is that backups go to disk and there is a secondary step
in terms of recovery.  The problem is that SharePoint is such a unique
application, that it requires a lot of administrative effort and there is a lot
of room from error from end-users (especially that site admins can delete their
entire sites pretty easily).  After looking at what the tools offered, compared
to the cost of for the various options, we thought we got more for the money
with the Idera toolset.  I'm not here to bash the NMM plugin, but we have a DSE
and he even mentioned that the first iteration of the module was rushed to
market, which is why I think it's buggy and not well implemented.  Like someone
mentioned it is the future for all of the MS plugins, so we will have to get
use to it, but for us the other tools made more sense for the money.

Dan Ryan
MedPlus

Please think about resource conservation before you print this message