Networker

Re: [Networker] Speed up scanning on numerous tapes (additional detail)

2009-11-04 12:27:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] Speed up scanning on numerous tapes (additional detail)
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 17:20:04 +0000
Len Philpot wrote:
>> Thierry FAIDHERBE
>>
>> If tapes are EXPIRED but not relabelled yet, you do not
>> need to scan tapes to recover from. Use recover -S SSID.
>> Recyclable/expired tapes just mean "may be overwritten if needed"
>> but does not mean you cannot recover ssid from even if expired.
>> Rebuiling/restoring CFI is only needed if you want to browse
>> old backup's file namespace.
>
> Unfortunately, that's almost certainly to be the case - The files index
> will need to be browsesable.
>
> I also wasn't totally accurate in my followup comment (in a hurry, aren't
> we always? :-)  Both browse and retention policies have long expired on
> all of these tapes, but since the tapes have not been recycled, the
> savesets themselves are still visible via mminfo. So, I could do a saveset
> recovery, but not browse any individual files.
>
> If anyone knows of any shortcuts to a browseable file index, I'm all
> ears...  :-\

Absolutely we do!

If you have the save sets in the media database, is there a chance that
you also have index backups in the media database too? If you make the
index backups recoverable you can repopulate the indices using nsrck
-L7. Far easier than scanning hundreds of tapes. You may have to make a
lot more save sets recoverable too.