Networker

Re: [Networker] Speed up scanning on numerous tapes (additional detail)

2009-11-04 13:16:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] Speed up scanning on numerous tapes (additional detail)
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 12:09:22 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Speed up scanning on numerous tapes...:

If you have the save sets in the media database, is there a chance that
you also have index backups in the media database too? If you make the
index backups recoverable you can repopulate the indices using nsrck
-L7.

Davina, you've touched on something that I hope you and others have
time to comment on a little bit more.  I've been going back and forth
with EMC support for months on an issue relating to nsrck -L7 not being
able to recover and re-integrate indexes.

I'm now being told by support that nsrck -L7 will not work if the saveset
is expired.  I don't yet have clarification on whether they mean a
filesystem saveset or the index saveset, but I'm assuming they're talking
about the index saveset.  Support has also indicated that this is the way
it has always worked in V7 NetWorker, which completely contradicts my
experiences with nsrck.

Does anyone know anything about this?  Has there been a documented change
somewhere in the 7 series (maybe at 7.3.x, which we skipped over) where
nsrck -L7 now only works on recoverable index savesets?  It seems to me
like that would be a big step backward in functionality for nsrck if that
were the case.

Any insight or pointers to documention on this issue would be greatly
appreciated,

Tim
edu