Networker

[Networker] How to upgrade NetWorker server and library?

2009-09-08 05:27:04
Subject: [Networker] How to upgrade NetWorker server and library?
From: Manel Rodero <manel AT FIB.UPC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 11:21:27 +0200
Hello,

Finally, after some investigations, we will upgrade our backup system (server & tape library) at the end of this month.

We've bought a new Dell PowerEdge server and a Quantum Scalar i500 library (with LTO4 drives and FC connections) for replace our old server and Qualstar library (with SDLT320 and SCSI connections).

Our actual server is running Legato NetWorker 7.4.4.Build.634 on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2.

We would like to have the new server running on Windows Server 2008 and upgrade our NetWorker version too.

Is this upgrade path correct?

1 - Install Windows 2008 in the new server, with the same IP address, name, etc. (obviously, disconnected from the network or isolated from the actual server ;-)

2 - Install the same version of Legato NetWorker that we have actually in our Windows 2003 and let the services stopped.

3 - Copy all the information (i.e. c:\legato\nsr directory) to the new server. Theorically, after starting the services, Legato will we up and running.

4 - Delete the old autochanger/drives from NetWorker and create the necessary devices for accessing the new library (how this process is done? using jbconfig like in SCSI ones? or do we need to use another tool? Any tips about how to configure FC connections will be very appreciated).

5 - Test the server (backup and restore) using LTO4 drives and tapes

Another question we have is:

- What's the best process for transfer all the data from SDLT320 tapes to LTO4 ones?

And, any other tip/info we need to be aware of?

Thank you very much.

--

       Manel Rodero Blánquez
o o o  IT Systems Manager

       E-mail : manel AT fib.upc DOT edu
       Tel.   : +34 93 401 0847
       Web    : http://www.fib.upc.edu/

Abans  d'imprimir aquest missatge, si us plau, assegureu-vos que sigui
necessari. El medi ambient és cosa de tots.

--[ http://www.fib.upc.edu/disclaimer/ ]------------------------------

ADVERTIMENT  /  TEXT  LEGAL:  Aquest  missatge pot contenir informació
confidencial  o  legalment protegida i està exclusivament adreçat a la
persona  o entitat destinatària. Si vosté no es el destinatari final o
persona  encarregada  de  recollir-lo, no està autoritzat a llegir-lo,
retenir-lo, modificar-lo, distribuir-lo, copiar-lo ni a revelar el seu
contingut.  Si ha rebut aquest correu electrònic per error, li preguem
que  informi  al  remitent  i elimini del seu sistema el missatge i el
material annex que pugui contenir. Gràcies per la seva col·laboració.