Networker

Re: [Networker] How to upgrade NetWorker server and library?

2009-09-08 05:46:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to upgrade NetWorker server and library?
From: "HORWITZ, STANLEY R." <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 05:41:37 -0400
On Sep 8, 2009, at 5:21 AM, Manel Rodero wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Finally, after some investigations, we will upgrade our backup system
> (server & tape library) at the end of this month.
>
> We've bought a new Dell PowerEdge server and a Quantum Scalar i500
> library (with LTO4 drives and FC connections) for replace our old
> server
> and Qualstar library (with SDLT320 and SCSI connections).
>
> Our actual server is running Legato NetWorker 7.4.4.Build.634 on
> Windows
> Server 2003 R2 SP2.
>
> We would like to have the new server running on Windows Server 2008
> and
> upgrade our NetWorker version too.
>
> Is this upgrade path correct?
>
> 1 - Install Windows 2008 in the new server, with the same IP address,
> name, etc. (obviously, disconnected from the network or isolated from
> the actual server ;-)
>
> 2 - Install the same version of Legato NetWorker that we have actually
> in our Windows 2003 and let the services stopped.
>
> 3 - Copy all the information (i.e. c:\legato\nsr directory) to the new
> server. Theorically, after starting the services, Legato will we up
> and
> running.
>
> 4 - Delete the old autochanger/drives from NetWorker and create the
> necessary devices for accessing the new library (how this process is
> done? using jbconfig like in SCSI ones? or do we need to use another
> tool? Any tips about how to configure FC connections will be very
> appreciated).
>
> 5 - Test the server (backup and restore) using LTO4 drives and tapes
>
> Another question we have is:
>
> - What's the best process for transfer all the data from SDLT320 tapes
> to LTO4 ones?
>
> And, any other tip/info we need to be aware of?

TIP #1: Read the NetWorker release notes.
TIP #2: Read the NetWorker release notes again.
TIP #3: Leave your old server and hardware in place for the longest
retention period of your current backups. Rename the old server. Don't
bother transferring data between SDLT320 and LTO-4 if you can avoid
it. If you need to restore any data off SDLT320 media, just point the
client that needs to do the restore at the old tape library under a
new tape library name. Also, remove the licenses from it; you can get
evaluation licenses from EMC if necessary.