Networker

Re: [Networker] nsrjb -R not recycling volume in 7.4.3?

2008-11-13 13:21:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] nsrjb -R not recycling volume in 7.4.3?
From: "Brian O'Neill" <oneill AT OINC DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 13:17:38 -0500
Francis Swasey wrote:
Bruce,

Brian actually :)

7.4.3 includes a fix LGTsc16781 which changed the way -R works.... that may be the cause of your problem. (As the culprit that complained and got EMC to change the way -R works.... sorry).

So its YOUR fault...

For what you are doing, why are you using -R? Since NetWorker doesn't already know what the volume label is, it doesn't know what media pool it is in and therefore, doesn't know what label template to use to label the tape... Now, the way my environment works, when I deposit tapes into my library, the get scanned and inventoried automatically -- so if the tape is in NetWorkers mediadb -- then they immediately show up in the jukebox resource correctly. How are you putting these tapes back into your library? Are you using the library I/O Ports or physically putting them into slots yourself?

If you are using the I/O ports -- NetWorker should be figuring out what the volume is automatically. If you are putting the tapes into slots in the library -- you will need to use the nsrjb -II (quick Inventory) to have it realize the volume -- Then I think your nsrjb -RYL command should work again.

Specifically, on this particular server is a Dell PV-124T tape library. It has a load port, but since we need to change several tapes at a time, we eject the cartridge and replace the tapes manually, then reinsert the cartridge.

The PV-124T does its own inventory, and then at least notifies Networker that it has done so and Networker picks up the barcodes - I know because the barcodes are listed in the output of nsrjb. I have set Networker to label the tapes with the barcodes, so the volume names match, and always have. So, it SHOULD recognize the barcode, match it with the volume name, and display the volume name - but it doesn't.

When I recycle I am explicitly specifying the pool, so Networker knowing or not knowing what pool they were part of previously doesn't matter either.

I'll try the -II option next time...

-Brian