Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup saveset speed: Enumerating directories vs using ALL

2008-10-28 12:37:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup saveset speed: Enumerating directories vs using ALL
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:34:26 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Backup saveset speed: Enumerating directories...:

If I understand correctly, I make 2 client definitions:

1. NT_SAN1
Saveset: ALL
with a directive to skip a specifically named set of directories

2. NT_SAN1
Saveset: only the directories listed as being skipped above

And I schedule both to run every night. So if a new directory is added, it
gets caught by the client definition #1 ... since it does not match the
SKIP directive. Meanwhile, client definition #2 is backing up 6
directories at a time.

Yes?

Yes.

Does the order matter - for instance, should I schedule #2 first, and
then #1 an hour later?
And the fact that the schedule is "Level 1 weekdays, FULL on Fri" should
not affect anything.

I don't believe it makes a difference, but you should experiment and see
what works best in your environment.

Do you happen to know if this consideration -

There are some unpleasant consequences however at this time...
At recovery time, not all backed up directories are displayed even
though the indexes are ok.

still applies to 7.4 SP2?

I don't know if that still applies.  We're not currently doing that,
though we may resort to it again soon.

Tim
edu