Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup saveset speed: Enumerating directories vs using ALL

2008-10-27 14:21:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup saveset speed: Enumerating directories vs using ALL
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:17:53 -0400
> Methods for safely doing this have been discussed several times on the
> list before.  The two common suggestions are
>
> 1) use a script on your backup server that periodically probes the
client
> to find what mountpoints/volumes are present, and have the script update
> the saveset attribute for that client to add any new volumes that have
> appeared.
>
> 2) use two client definitions -- on definition uses the ALL saveset
*but*
> it uses a directive you create for just that client that skips the
volume
> you want to parallelize.  Then create a second client definition that
just
> lists e.g. H:\foo, H:\bar, H:\baz in the saveset.

If I understand correctly, I make 2 client definitions:

1. NT_SAN1
Saveset: ALL
with a directive to skip a specifically named set of directories

2. NT_SAN1
Saveset: only the directories listed as being skipped above

And I schedule both to run every night. So if a new directory is added, it
gets caught by the client definition #1 ... since it does not match the
SKIP directive. Meanwhile, client definition #2 is backing up 6
directories at a time.

Yes?

Does the order matter - for instance, should I schedule #2 first, and then
#1 an hour later?
And the fact that the schedule is "Level 1 weekdays, FULL on Fri" should
not affect anything.

Do you happen to know if this consideration -

There are some unpleasant consequences however at this time...
At recovery time, not all backed up directories are displayed even
though the indexes are ok.

still applies to 7.4 SP2?

Thanks so much for the clues!