Networker

Re: [Networker] Determining when a volume becomes recylable

2008-10-01 15:50:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] Determining when a volume becomes recylable
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 14:44:40 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Determining when a volume becomes recylable,...:

That's only true if there are no savesets that depend on this saveset.
Are you certain that's the case?

I believe so ... can't think what could depend on this particular saveset.
How can I determine that?

Very carefully.  ;-)

I'm not aware of any magic attribute that you can supply in an mminfo
query to easily determine all the savesets that depend on a particular
saveset (now watch, Davina or Darren will point out something obvious that
I'm not thinking of...).  There's nothing like

        mminfo -q 'depends_on=111223344' -r 'ssid,savetime,level'

What you have to do is look at the level of the backup and the level
of any subsequent backups and do the "what depends on this" calculations
yourself (or via a script).

I've never bothered to write a script to do this kind of thing, but I
don't think it would be terribly difficult.

Also, savesets only expire as a result of nsrim being run (that happens
automatically, periodically).  If you run e.g.

    nsrim -Xv

and then re-run your mminfo query, are the results the same?

No! Afterward:

2677082318 admin_nt13 MSSQL:                         7/30/2008 08:35 PM
9/30/2008 11:59 PM vrEF E        expired

So how "periodically" does "nsrim -X" happen, anyway?

Check the first two paragraphs of the nsrim documentation in the man page
(I forget if you're on Windows or not, but if you are, the UNIX-style
man pages for each of the commands are available as an appendix in one of
the PDFs, probably the administration guide).

Obviously, I'm
seeing savesets that *should* be marked as "expired" that aren't, because
of long intervals between "nsrim -X" runs. Perhaps the interval needs to
be shortened? If I had waited to check this volume on 2008-10-03, would I
have seen the same results? Should I run a scheduled task once a week (or
more frequently) that issues a "nsrim -X"?

It should be running at least once a day already (assuming you run at
least one savegrp per day).  If we were having this conversation after all
your savegrps finished up tonight/tomorrow, it already would have been
automatically purged.

Tim
edu