Networker

Re: [Networker] Determining when a volume becomes recylable

2008-10-01 18:43:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Determining when a volume becomes recylable
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 08:40:37 +1000
On 02/10/2008, at 08:23 , Davina Treiber wrote:

Tim Mooney wrote:
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Determining when a volume becomes recylable,...:
That's only true if there are no savesets that depend on this saveset.
Are you certain that's the case?

I believe so ... can't think what could depend on this particular saveset.
How can I determine that?
Very carefully.  ;-)
I'm not aware of any magic attribute that you can supply in an mminfo
query to easily determine all the savesets that depend on a particular saveset (now watch, Davina or Darren will point out something obvious that
I'm not thinking of...).  There's nothing like
   mminfo -q 'depends_on=111223344' -r 'ssid,savetime,level'
What you have to do is look at the level of the backup and the level
of any subsequent backups and do the "what depends on this" calculations
yourself (or via a script).
I've never bothered to write a script to do this kind of thing, but I
don't think it would be terribly difficult.

I think you're right that there's no magic query for this, but at the same time it's not too difficult to find the dependencies. For example, if you have a save set called /var for a client called baldrick that you think should have expired, simply run a query on all instances of that save set in chronological order. I would run something like:

mminfo -ot -q "name=/var,client=baldrick" -r savetime,level,volume

This is possible; our company produces a suite of tools for our customers that includes this style of utility. It can sometimes be useful in tracing why a volume hasn't become recyclable.

E.g.,:
[root@nox ~]# deptree -c asgard
asgard
  |- /
  |   \_ 06/30/2008 (full)
  |       \_07/01/2008 (incr)
  |          \_07/02/2008 (incr)
  |             \_07/03/2008 (incr)
  |                \_07/03/2008 (incr)
  |   \_ 07/06/2008 (full)
  |       \_07/09/2008 (incr)
  |   \_ 07/12/2008 (full)
  |       \_07/14/2008 (incr)
  |          \_07/15/2008 (incr)
  |             \_07/15/2008 (incr)
  |   \_ 08/03/2008 (full)
  |       \_08/07/2008 (incr)
  |   \_ 08/09/2008 (full)
  |       \_08/11/2008 (incr)
  |          \_08/20/2008 (incr)
  |             \_08/22/2008 (incr)
  |   \_ 09/28/2008 (full)
  |       \_09/29/2008 (incr)
  |          \_09/29/2008 (incr)
  |             \_10/01/2008 (incr)
  |                \_10/02/2008 (incr)

Not the prettiest of output, I'm sure others can think of alternate ways of displaying it too, but it is possible.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy", due out September 26 2008:

http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=AU6396&isbn=9781420076394&parent_id=&pc=

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com