Networker

Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file

2008-08-21 16:20:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 16:17:08 -0400
Francis Swasey said:

>Curtis Preston said:
>>Hmmm... VTLs don't have that problem. ;)  OK, they sort of do.  You
>>can't restore from a tape that's currently being cloned, but you can
>>restore from other tapes.  It looks like the entire AFTD is held up
>>while cloning/staging is going on.

>Quite true... but I can do a clone/stage/recover while I'm writing
backups to the AFTD.

>You can't do that with a tape (virtual or real).

Not true.  You just can't back up to the same TAPE at the same time.
But if you fire off a backup, it'll get a tape, even if the one it
prefers is busy.  And if a particular tape IS busy cloning/destaging and
a backup or restore wants that particular tape, it will only be busy for
3 mins (see my previous math).