Networker

Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file

2008-08-21 15:33:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:30:55 -0400
On 8/21/08 2:55 PM, Stan Horwitz wrote:
I don't think device count is relevant in a NetWorker environment because EMC doesn't license anything based on device count. What I am starting to see is that a VTL would be better for my environment because it would be easier to carve out the storage space into lots of little (10GB VTs) instead of having larger ADFTs. I figure that with the law of large numbers on my side, the odds of needing to recover data from lots of virtual tapes with them all staging is much slimmer then my needing to recover data from far fewer, but larger ADFS devices that are all busy staging data when I need to recover something.

You are likely right. However, I wish to point out that you can minimize the problem of AFTD contention by properly defining your staging policy so it doesn't do massive amounts of staging at a time -- this is of course assuming that you are not emptying the device daily.