Networker

Re: [Networker] SLAs and backup cost estimates

2008-05-16 15:02:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] SLAs and backup cost estimates
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 13:56:51 -0500
Hi,
Stan, thanks for the update, what i meant by " Device Management " is
jbconfig\Gui to get back to base config if there are problems with devices
and we need to rebuild or adjust the backup server, recently networker
added "jbedit" but now we exclusively use GUI. I have a script now that
captures pool, device associations, client config etc in case i need to
refer back.
Major problems exist with keeping track of " clone completion" Media
movement with correct retention to Offsite for us, reporting on what being
backed up in real time with actionable items remains deficient. We have
now moved most of the scheduling to external job schedulers.
During DR networker never fails to surprise us, whetter it's long boot
times due to " reverse name resolution" ( now we have no host file, we use
DNS" to
Devices not working right, to recovers failing ( could drivers, hardware
issues at offsite") we do not use replication or have standby server for
recover at DR.
Frustration mounts as recovery team wants their data fast.
We use ADIC Tape lib at offsite vendor site, which is also used locally,
every time at DR it's different reason why networker takes longer to
recover, from HBA, Hardware, name resolution etc.
Reconfiguring Networker at DR involves removing existing config that is
usually the most time consuming, i whish networker recovery is not tied to
it, or changed in a fashion that you recover networker indexes &
functionality and either re-configure hardware or import hardware config
separately, this would speed up connecting to Tape Drives\Tape Lib.
Just my thoughts.

"