Networker

Re: [Networker] backup of nas shares...

2008-02-19 16:46:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] backup of nas shares...
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:42:40 -0600
Hello,
The fact that you are able to backup some file systems leads me to believe
the configuration is almost correct and the time-outs  on the group is
causing the backups to fail.
Also note that NDMP only supports level backup to my knowledge, forcing
incremental via group attribute may  result in FULL backups.
I am glad you have a completed backups, make sure you also set correct
application parameters in client attribute, this are documented under
admin guide.
HTH

Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
02/19/2008 03:19 PM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject

tkutil wrote:

> We just got our first filer. It is Netapp and I am using Networker with
NDMP and not having very good luck so far. I was just wondering about your
comment about netapp/networker combination. My tape drive is attached to
my windows networker server. Most times when I run a backup a few volumes
will complete successfully and then it seems that something goes to sleep
and the tape device sits at writing/idle.

    NetApp's dump command can take a lot of time before it will start
sending out data. The time is proportional to the number of files on the
volume. On a volume (connected to a FAS3050) which had ~5M files the
backup failed when the group inactivity time was 120 minutes and I had
to set it to 0 before I could get the volume to run full backups.

> |This was sent by troy.kutil AT milwaukeetool DOT com via Backup Central.

-- Yaron.

type