Networker

Re: [Networker] backup of nas shares...

2008-02-19 15:31:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] backup of nas shares...
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:23:47 -0600
Hello,
You need to look at NDMP backups top to bottom, how the server is
configured, FC, Tape drives on the filer, NDMP version, NDMP client and
Group configurations  etc to have an sucess.Make sure you have enough temp
file space on the backup server for NDMP to use.I would isolate NDMP
backup to group by itself ( set  Group inactivity time-outs to 0, as it
may take long time for file history etc ).
Work with EMC\Netapp  to identify the problems, turn on extra debugging.
One thing to note is NDMP backup licence for Networker is any thing but
cheap.
I have had no major problems with NDMP backups running on Windows server
and FAS 3050C.
HTH

tkutil <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
02/19/2008 01:58 PM
Please respond to
NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject

Matthew Huff wrote:

> Again, other than the cost of the NDMP license (and if you have a legato
> server and a NetApp, the license cost can't be a huge issue), what's the
> issue of using Legato NDMP and DSA? The performance is very good,
> especially if you dedicate a VLAN for it and use jumbo frames.

We just got our first filer. It is Netapp and I am using Networker with
NDMP and not having very good luck so far. I was just wondering about your
comment about netapp/networker combination. My tape drive is attached to
my windows networker server. Most times when I run a backup a few volumes
will complete successfully and then it seems that something goes to sleep
and the tape device sits at writing/idle.

|This was sent by troy.kutil AT milwaukeetool DOT com via Backup Central.

type