Networker

Re: [Networker] NW 7.4 backup to SAN

2007-12-17 09:26:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] NW 7.4 backup to SAN
From: mark wragge <mark_t_wragge AT YAHOO DOT IE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:24:26 +0000
When you say "backup the SAN" do you intend to backup the data located on a SAN
attached disk system? What kind of SAN do you have.

  There are a number of ways to backup a SAN - have you been asked to backup
the SAN using a specific method?

   One way to backup a SAN is to backup servers using the SAN as standard
networker clients. If a server us using a disk from the SAN then a backup of
this server will include the SAN disk. Windows servers will have the SAN disk
mounted as a drive letter and a backup of the server using saveset All will
include this disk. Unix servers will have the SAN disk mounted to a file name
and backup of the server using All will include the SAN disk if it is mounted
using vfstab.

  There are ways to backup the luns of some SAN disk systems using sanpshots
through additional modules such as Powersnap or vendor related scripts (such as
HP EVA snapshots/clones).

  You can also backup the servers data directly through  the SAN if both your
server and tape library are SAN connected.

  Mark

angelohl <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM> wrote:
  Hey guys and thanks in advance - as you know I'm new to this; I have a tape
library that I've been backing up to successfully now for a few weeks and it's
working great. My question is, I've been told to test backup and restore from
the SAN to tape library - now in my libraries/devices I see my tape library,
but how do I configure Legato to see the SAN? (I can ping the SAN)