Networker

Re: [Networker] VCB proxy as a storage node

2007-12-17 09:34:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] VCB proxy as a storage node
From: mark wragge <mark_t_wragge AT YAHOO DOT IE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:31:13 +0000
UNder what circumstances can the EDL be used as a networker storage node so
that networker can manage the cloning process? We have a cLARIIONDisk Library.
I thought that if i used the CDL to manage cloning then networker would not be
aware of the location of that tapes and that i would require a seperate tape
library conneected to the CDL to hold the cloned tapes.

  At the moment we clone virtual tapes from CDL to physical library managed by
networker. We then re-label CDL virtual tapes to free up space on the CDL.

brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM> wrote:
  Terry Lemons wrote:

> > > Now that is what I'd LOVE to see, EMC products working with each other ;-)
> > > Ken
> > >

> In that case, you'll also be in love with the fact that NetWorker has been
> enhanced to detect when it used with virtual tape devices of the EMC Disk
> Library and to turn off the various mechanical delays/timers automatically.
> In addition, an EDL option is to have NetWorker storage node embedded inside
> the EDL. This allows the storage node to be used as a 'clone engine', reading
> from virtual tapes, and writing to physical tapes, or via IP to remote
> storage nodes. Because NetWorker makes these copies, it knows that they
> exist, and where they are. Other replication options can't provide this.
>
> And there's more integration coming.
>
> tl
>
> Terry Lemons
> Backup Platforms Group
> EMC²
> where information lives
> 4400 Computer Drive, MS D239
> Westboro MA 01580
> Phone: 508 898 7312
> Email: Lemons_Terry AT emc DOT com

Actually, our VTL's are EDL's with embedded storage nodes. We are happy overall
with their performance and feature set, but since you mentioned it, it would be
nice if they integrated with EBA, had a command-line interface that we could
access (ssh to the units is not allowed to mere admins), and/or did de-dupe. Of
course, you probably needed to hold a few features back for future upgrades!
[Wink]

-brerrabbit