Networker

Re: [Networker] Need Firewall Configuration Help

2007-08-14 11:53:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] Need Firewall Configuration Help
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:47:51 +0100
Campbell, Heather wrote:
Davina thank you for the info but I can not ask for 2000 ports to be
opened for the Client to server: TCP 7937-9936

Fair enough, although I would recommend it if you can. I found that not having the full range available causes RMAN/NMO backups to fail, and not necessarily the ones through the firewall. If you are not using RMAN/NMO then perhaps you don't need to worry. I don't know whether any other modules are affected. This is probably a bug but I never bothered to follow it up.

I wonder sometimes whether it matters how many ports are opened. An open port is no danger unless there is a service running on the other end of it.

I am looking for a limited amount of ports and it looks to be on the
client side from your info but just not sure how many per client??

In that case you can reduce the number of ports used at the NW server. You definitely need 7937 and 7938, then I think it's one or two per session, you would have to check in the admin guide for the version of NW you are using.