Networker

Re: [Networker] Storagetek SL500 tape library?

2007-03-14 12:52:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] Storagetek SL500 tape library?
From: Ty Young <Phillip_Young AT I2 DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:44:46 -0500
There's no GUI panel on the L500, so there's no possibility for seeing an
inventory, etc.        I've had one of these for about a year and I love
it, even though it took a little bit of  getting used to in not having that
GUI (unlike my L180s that I had previously.)
-ty

Phillip T. ("Ty") Young, DMA
Manager, Data Center and Backup/Recovery Services
Information Services
i2 Technologies, Inc.

             George Sinclair
             <George.Sinclair@
             NOAA.GOV>                                                  To
             Sent by: EMC              NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

             NetWorker                                                  cc
             discussion
             <NETWORKER@LISTSE                                     Subject
             RV.TEMPLE.EDU>            [Networker] Storagetek SL500 tape
                                       library?

             03/14/2007 11:32
             AM

             Please respond to
               EMC NetWorker
                discussion
             <NETWORKER@LISTSE
              RV.TEMPLE.EDU>;
             Please respond to
              George Sinclair
             <George.Sinclair@
                 NOAA.GOV>

Does anyone know if the Storagetek SL500 tape library allows you to be
able to move tapes around directly from the GUI
panel on the library? Also, does it allow you to be able to see an
inventory of the tapes, and/or their associated bar codes?

The reason I ask is because we have an older L80, and it offers no such
ability. The panel does allow some configuration,
but no manipulation of the media, and you can't see what the library
thinks it has or the bar codes is has saved in its little brain.
They do sell an ancillary software package that does allow you to see
this information and move tapes around, but you
would do this remotely. And, of course, we can use the NetWorker
software, but I like being able to have this control when
I'm right there at the library; it's a nice feature for the operator(s).
Our Quantum libraries have always had these features.
I would think the SL500 would offer more advanced features over the L
series, but I could not find any specific information
about this.

George

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210

type