Networker

Re: [Networker] Storagetek SL500 tape library?

2007-03-14 13:17:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Storagetek SL500 tape library?
From: Attila Mester <Attila.Mester AT SUN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:12:35 +0100
The Operation Panel on the library directly is an option you need to purchase.
However, the remote console (Streamline Console) comes with the library for
free and allows you to monitor/configure the library from a remote server and
basically do what you have required.
regards  -attila

Attila Mester             5 Digit Sun internal: x62534
Professional Services        Tel: (+49 89) 46 008 2534
Sun Microsystems GmbH        Fax: (+49 89) 46 008 2583
Sonnenallee 1             Mobil: +49 172 812 5947
85551 Heimstetten / Germany    mail: attila.mester AT sun DOT com

George Sinclair wrote:
Does anyone know if the Storagetek SL500 tape library allows you to be able to move tapes around directly from the GUI panel on the library? Also, does it allow you to be able to see an inventory of the tapes, and/or their associated bar codes?

The reason I ask is because we have an older L80, and it offers no such ability. The panel does allow some configuration, but no manipulation of the media, and you can't see what the library thinks it has or the bar codes is has saved in its little brain. They do sell an ancillary software package that does allow you to see this information and move tapes around, but you would do this remotely. And, of course, we can use the NetWorker software, but I like being able to have this control when I'm right there at the library; it's a nice feature for the operator(s). Our Quantum libraries have always had these features. I would think the SL500 would offer more advanced features over the L series, but I could not find any specific information
about this.

George