Networker

Re: [Networker] Browse and Retention planning/question

2006-11-30 12:18:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Browse and Retention planning/question
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 09:01:37 -0800
> I would like to implement 2 separate browse/retention policies for this
> single host.  One is a pool of 20 tapes that rotate with browse/retention of
> 28 days.  The reason for this is so that I can utilize Auto Media Management
> to automatically re-label the tapes once they rotate around and have reached
> recyc status.  The other pool is an infinite browse/retention for a backup
> that is taken the first of every month.

Good, but please don't refer to the feature as "Auto Media Management".
AMM is something else.  Automatic recycling is always done by Networker.

> How can I accomplish different browse/retention policies for a single host
> which happens to be the Networker server?

Create separate client instances, each with separate browse/retention
policies.  It doesn't require additional licenses.

Do you plan on doing 'full' backups in both pools?  With what frequency
in your pool of 20?  How long do you plan on having the "infinite" pool
onsite after the bakcup has completed?