Networker

Re: [Networker] Browse and Retention planning/question

2006-11-30 12:47:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] Browse and Retention planning/question
From: Davina Treiber <DavinaTreiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:35:27 +0000
Darren Dunham wrote:

I would like to implement 2 separate browse/retention policies for this
single host.  One is a pool of 20 tapes that rotate with browse/retention of
28 days.  The reason for this is so that I can utilize Auto Media Management
to automatically re-label the tapes once they rotate around and have reached
recyc status.  The other pool is an infinite browse/retention for a backup
that is taken the first of every month.

Good, but please don't refer to the feature as "Auto Media Management".
AMM is something else.  Automatic recycling is always done by Networker.
Ah - in this case I believe Shawn was referring to a standalone tape drive, and if so AMM _does_ apply. AMM on standalone drives is a kludgy scheme where NetWorker periodically checks the tape drive and relabels the tape if present and recyclable. Not really the same as AMM on a library, but the name is the same.