Networker

[Networker] Incremental backup of large volume takes longer than full

2006-10-26 20:12:57
Subject: [Networker] Incremental backup of large volume takes longer than full
From: Kobus Strydom <kstrydom AT MEDIHELP.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 01:51:26 +0200
Please can someone help.

I have a Windows 2003 server HPDL580 4 x 3.2Ghz, 4GB ram, 72GB local
disk, 500GB EMC volume, Gigabit ether, 2GB Fiber for backup purpose.
Networker 7.3.1

On the EMC volume are very roughly about 30mil files, all images.

A full backup of this volume takes roughly 36hours. There are about
10GB's worth of new images added daily, yet the incrementals that I
perform takes forever and seldom completes before 11:am the next working
day. They start at 18:00 each night. The speed I get out of incrementals
are in the region of 500KB to 1MB p/s.

I have journal manager enabled on this volume, yet it looks lik all
files are checked for changes?

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. I have worked with
our local supplier on this issue for months now and still no joy. They
suggested a raw backup, which is great, I get an average speed of 50MB
p/s, but this doesn't help when I need to restore individual files.

Kobus Strydom
Systems Engineer
Medihelp
Mobile +27 82 9090882
Tel +27 12 3342295
Fax +27 12 3342426
e-mail kstrydom AT medihelp.co DOT za

Medihelp is an Authorised Financial Services Provider
NOTICE: Please note that this eMail, and the contents thereof,
is subject to the standard Medihelp eMail disclaimer which may be found at:
http://www.medihelp.co.za/disclaimer.htm
<<<< GWAVASIG >>>>