Networker

Re: [Networker] Incremental backup of large volume takes longer than full

2006-10-26 20:54:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Incremental backup of large volume takes longer than full
From: Kyle Oliver <k_f_o AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:47:40 -0700
OK, point of clarification first.  Your subject suggests that the full is
shorter than the incrementals, but the detail of the message suggests that your
fulls take 36 hours and your incrementals take 17 hours.  Am I missing
something here?

I wish I had a silver bullet for you here, but I don't.  I used to work at a
company that had a similar issue.  After months of working on the problem and
trying to write custom software to aggregate the large number of files into a
smaller number of compressed directories, we ended up re-architecting the
environment so that we could fill directories and make them read-only after
they were backed up.  It was more of a management nightmare, but we had faster,
cleaner backups that we were confident in.

-Kyle