Networker

Re: [Networker] ClientPak for Unix?

2005-06-11 18:10:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] ClientPak for Unix?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:06:05 +1000
Hi all,

On 6/11/05, George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT noaa DOT gov> wrote:
> I just spoke with Licensing and Registration at Legato and was told that
> you do in fact need to have the "ClientPak for Unix" in order to back up
> various flavors of non-Linux Unix. Perhaps one possible source of
> confusion is how the product is named or appears in the registration
> window. Later base enablers may report something like ".... for Unix" in
> the name? possibly leading one to conclude that all flavors of non-linux
> Unix can be used or are supported? Hmm ... Anyway, they tell me that you
> still need the ClientPak if the clients are not running that same flavor.
> And, of course, ClientPak for NeWare, Mac, Windows, Linux depending.

This is definitely the case. It should be noted that licensing is not
the strong point of Legato support, and what was quoted by a Legato
support tech was actually incorrect.

> And, if you remove the "ClientPak for Unix" to test, you may not be able
> to easily add it back. You might need to work with support to re-enable a
> previously enabled product.

Re-adding will be easy - simply note both the enabler code and
authorisation code, then delete. A backup of another Unix-OS style
client from a Solaris NetWorker server will then fail. Re-add the
license in order to perform the backups.

Cheers,

-Preston.