Networker

Re: [Networker] ClientPak for Unix?

2005-06-08 16:22:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] ClientPak for Unix?
From: Eric Wagar <eric AT DEADHOOKERS DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 13:16:59 -0700
Dave Mussulman wrote:
It's important to audit these things.  On our last renewal, they
end-of-lifed / recycled our 'ClientPak for PC Desktops' into a
'ClientPak for Windows' license, but didn't take the old license off the
quote.
Worse than that, we already had a ClientPak for Windows NT which
sufficed for the 'ClientPak for Windows' license.  So they charged for
the ClientPak for PC Desktops, the ClientPak for Windows they added to
replace the PC Desktops, and the original ClientPak for Windows NT --
billing us three times for something we only needed one of.  Adjusting
the quote lowered the cost by almost $1000.

I assume it's implied that if the Networker server is running on Linux,
then the ClientPak for UNIX is required to backup Solaris/AIX/HPUX, and you don't need a ClientPak for Linux to backup linux clients?
The ClientPaks are only needed for platforms that are different. So, this would include a need for a Linux ClientPak if your server is different than Linux.

As you stated above, the world of Legato licensing is an ever changing "exciting" world. :)