Networker

Re: [Networker] Solaris tuning for NetWorker 7.1.3

2005-05-06 09:26:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] Solaris tuning for NetWorker 7.1.3
From: thierry.faidherbe AT HP DOT COM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 21:16:45 +0800
Well, to localize the problem I would follow these 2 steps :

1) disable directive set at client level. I often saw compression directive
that requires more client-CPU combined to anti-virus software to cause
performance drop-down. Check also for disabling verbose information
from savegrp.

2) create a FILE (or AdvFileDev) device and label it to a specific pool.
Force a full backup to that pool. It would eliminate tape device
part of the problem.

You could also use bigasm to generate dummy data from backup server
(and/or from client) to determine how far the tape drive can write wihout
reading from disk.

I would also have a try to fill /etc/hosts with clients addr and disabling
DNS name resolution from server side. NetWorker is an heavy dns query user
and if you dns got in troubles, then you can also obtain serious
performance degradations.

Cheers and HTH,

Thierry