Networker

Re: [Networker] Identifying backups, policies, and tapes

2004-12-13 17:55:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Identifying backups, policies, and tapes
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:54:49 -0800
> Managing clients in and out of groups to maintain media dependencies is
> the biggest single timesink I have as a Networker admin.  For example,
> if a client always missed your Monday full but was awake for the Tuesday
> incremental, every incremental would be based off the original full.
> The tapes would never seem to come free.  What I do is track certain
> failures, and move clients out of those 'normal' groups into failed ones
> until I can make a manual backup and put them back in the rotation.
>
> If Networker had some kind of language that said "If a client hasn't had
> a full backup in >7 days, make the next backup a full backup," it would
> really save me some time.

Now that at least is something I've had to do a lot, and to some extent
it's much easier (because I don't care about tracking cycles and
dependencies).

You can easily search for valid fulls in the past 7 days with 'mminfo'.
I've used that for alerts in the past.  (Doesn't do any good to send one
full a quarter offsite for 7 years if the client you really want failed
its full backup that week).

If you want to automate it (and you already have schedules set for every
day of the week), it wouldn't be too hard to write a script that did
that.

foreach valid client
  if no full in last 7 days
    nsrinfo modify schedule to do a full tomorrow

I wouldn't want to do that automatically, or a media manager failure
would move all the clients, even if I didn't want them moved
permanently.