Networker

Re: [Networker] Identifying backups, policies, and tapes

2004-12-13 17:09:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Identifying backups, policies, and tapes
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:08:31 -0800
> Basically, what this means is that the tapes used in these backups also
> share these dependencies (and usually others).   However, I can't seem to
> find a way to see a list of what tapes are needed in a report so that I can
> verify when a tape is supposed to be expiring.  I can write a script to
> infer the information by figuring out what tapes were used for a the full
> and incremental backups, but I would like for the report to be based on what
> Networker thinks the are the dependencies involved.  I suppose I could go to
> the Networker User program and see what times it would require to perform a
> "full restore" on the date of the last incremental of the chain since that
> should show me the same tapes, but again, that is not really what I'm
> wanting to do.
>
> If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know.  I've poured over the
> mminfo and nsrinfo commands, but I don't see anything that can generate this
> type of report.

I agree.  I don't know of any simple report that lists the information
you mention in that form.

I would assume you could deal with 'mminfo' dumps of a lot of
information (savetime, level, etc.) and parse it yourself with a script.

Otherwise, yeah, you'd be automating 'recover' or something, asking for
particular files and seeing what others are required.