Networker

Re: [Networker] No response from client

2004-12-03 14:43:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] No response from client
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 14:46:00 -0500
No, but here's what I discovered. The wrong ip was listed in the
client's /etc/hosts. The correct host name was listed but with the wrong
ip. The DNS, however, lists the correct one. This wrong ip address is
also the one that was showing up in the output from the strace command,
and it appears twice in the /nsr/res/nsrla.res file after two resource
identifier entries:

resource identifier: 4.#.###.#.###.###.###.##.IP-ADRESS(61)

resource identifier: 6.#.###.#.###.###.###.##.IP-ADRESS(1)

With the exception of the first digit, and the numbers in parenthesis,
everything else on both lines is identical.
I should also note that /etc/nsswitch.conf uses the order: files nis dns
for hosts. I changed the ip address in the client's /etc/hosts file to
the correct value (no reboot) and EVERYTHING works now! I can also run
the GUI tools and command line tools like mminfo, and they no longer
hang. I guess prior to the fix, the host at some point would get around
this hurdle and finally back itself up but it would take a long time.
Probably eventually timed out and used NIS or DNS but might bounce
aroudn a long time?

How should I correct the wrong entries in nsrla.res? Can I manually fix
that or is there a better way? Also, is it necessary? What do those
preceeding numbers before the IP indicate?

Thanks.

George