Networker

Re: [Networker] How to maintain a read only tape inside the changer without being recycled?

2004-11-04 11:40:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to maintain a read only tape inside the changer without being recycled?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:00:30 -0800
> We've found another change in the functionality of Legato NetWorker 7.1.2
> with the read only tapes. To help in the process of recovering things we
> have inside the changers the tapes corresponding to the actual week and the
> tapes for the past week (in read only mode).
>
> This has been working in this manner for years but now (with 7.1.2) we've
> seen that Legato automatically recycles tapes in read only mode (due to the
> 'nsrim' process executed after finishing a backup).

'read only' should never prevent Networker from recycling a tape in any
version.  It just means that new backups will not go to that tape.  It
is still eligible for automatic relabeling.

> As we want to separate the tapes for the different weeks we don't want that
> Legato recycles a read only tape inside the changer that corresponds to the
> past week.

Instead of (or in addition to) marking the volume as read only, you
should mark it for manual recycling.

Is there some reason that you don't have a 2 week retention period so
networker wouldn't attempt to recycle the tape anyway?