Networker

Re: [Networker] More 'Default' pool problems with Legato 7.1.2

2004-10-27 10:55:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] More 'Default' pool problems with Legato 7.1.2
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 08:13:45 -0700
> My question was related to: why this is happenning now? We've used Legato
> for more than 4 years without having this problem. Backups go to the "LCFIB
> Normal" pool always.
>
> But now, AFTER UPGRADING TO 7.1.2, when there is a problem with some client,
> Legato tries to use tapes in the pool 'Default'. Has the selection criteria
> changed in version 7.1.2? Our group is defined in the same manner for many
> years and it has always worked (in version 5.5 and 6.x).

My response was general, and not specific to 7.1.2.  I'm not running
that version at the moment, so if there's a new bug introduced with it,
I'm not aware of it directly.

You're probably familiar with 'savegrp -p' for probing clients.  It
returns the pool that would be used.  You might try running that during
a maintenance period.  I'd certainly see if I could try it in a
situation where either the master or client was disconnected from DNS to
simulate your earlier DNS failure.

> Our pool definition is:
>
> nsradmin> print type:NSR pool;name:LCFIB Normal

>                       groups: LCFIB-Normal;
>                      clients: ;
>                    save sets: ;
>                       levels: ;
>                      devices: ;

Given that, I see nothing that a DNS failure should affect.  I could
have seen a client entry get confused in that case, but the group
shouldn't.

> In the meantime, I'll try to label a tape in the pool 'Default' to see
> what's is saved into it when this problem appears. (Today the backup has
> finished ok :-)
>
> Any more idea?

Nope.  You can turn on all the daemons to a high debugging level, but
that's just annoying to run with all the time.  I certainly don't know
any tool that describes *why* networker has chosen a particular pool.