Networker

Re: [Networker] More 'Default' pool problems with Legato 7.1.2

2004-10-28 14:26:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] More 'Default' pool problems with Legato 7.1.2
From: "Faidherbe, Thierry" <thierry.faidherbe AT HP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:25:31 +0200
Hi,

You can met backups to go to default pool in some cases.
I have fixed one occurring in some rare cases. The problem was
related to storage node affinity of the client and authorized
tape devices in pool settings.

Due to an hardware event, the drive of the client
(acting as SAN SN) has been disabled. NetWorker then relied on the
next entry in the client storage node affinity (because no local device
to mount the required volume) but pool could not be
mounted on the second storage node's tape devices.
So, pool criterium being too restrictive, it resulted in a tape
from Default pool to be mounted on the second SN.

The tape in your lib is maybe read-only that could prevent
the volume to be mounted for write operation. Mount it manually
(too see if Networker mount it in a write protected mode) or label
a new one and let the backup to be written on the default volume.
Once backup is completed, look sessions written on that volume
to determine clients causing problems.

This may be caused by time-outs setting for networker to elect
a new storage node if volume request failed to be served in
the defined time interval (per device save mount and save lockout
timeouts).

HTH,

Th

Kind regards - Bien cordialement - Vriendelijke groeten,

Thierry FAIDHERBE

HP Services - Storage Division
Tru64 Unix and Legato Enterprise Backup Solutions Consultant

 *********       *********   HEWLETT - PACKARD
 *******    h      *******   1 Rue de l'aeronef/Luchtschipstraat
 ******    h        ******   1140 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 *****    hhhh  pppp *****
 *****   h  h  p  p  *****   100/102 Blv de la Woluwe/Woluwedal
 *****  h  h  pppp   *****   1200 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 ******      p      ******   BELGIUM
 *******    p      *******
 *********       *********   Phone :    +32 (0)2  / 729.85.42
                             Mobile :   +32 (0)498/  94.60.85
                             Fax :      +32 (0)2  / 729.88.30
     I  N  V  E  N  T        Email/MSN : thierry.faidherbe AT hp DOT com
                             Internet  : http://www.hp.com/

MOBISTAR SA/NV

CSO/CTO/CEO/SSD/SBI
SYSTEM Team Charleroi, Mermoz 2 Phone : +32 (0)2  / 745.75.81
Avenue Jean Mermoz, 32          Fax :   +32 (0)2  / 745.89.56
6041 GOSSELIES                  Email : tfhaidhe AT mail.mobistar DOT be
BELGIUM                         Web :   http://www.mobistar.be/