Networker

Re: [Networker] More 'Default' pool problems with Legato 7.1.2

2004-10-26 10:52:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] More 'Default' pool problems with Legato 7.1.2
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:10:44 -0700
> Today, only 1 machine in the group hasn't finished the backup. I've stopped
> the group. I've used 'nsradmin -s machine -v1 -p390113' to see if we have
> connectivity with the daemon running in the client. I've found this
> connection a lot more slow than other clients. I've login into this machine
> and restarted NetWorker (/etc/init.d/networker stop + start). Then, nsradmin
> was connecting faster than before. I've restarted the backup and it finished
> properly, without asking for tapes in the 'Default' pool.
>
> I would like to know why Legato asks for tapes in the 'Default' pool:

It asks for 'default' pool tapes when no other pool matches the job it's
trying to do.

     There are four pools  shipped  pre-enabled  with  NetWorker.
     The  Default  pool  is  meant to collect any backup data not
     directed to a pool a user creates with  selection  criteria.

> a) if it has 4 tapes that can be used (the 2 into drives, one at 94% at the
> other at 70%; and 2 that can be recicled)?

No.  If any other pool matches (whether it has tapes or not), it would
request from that pool.

> b) only when it has problems when some machine (we detected the problem
> asking for 'Default' tapes some days before when we had DNS problems and
> Legato can't contact, resolve a lot of name machines)?

Name resolution problems usually cause the backup to be aborted (can't
verify the name), not for the backup to change class.  I suppose if your
pool names clients by name, it's possible, but I've never seen it.

How is the pool (that you think should be used, but isn't) defined?

Sometimes the easiest thing to do is create a 'default' volume real
quick (even a disk volume).  Examine the job that is being sent to it,
and determine why it's not matching your existing pools (group, level,
client, save set).