Networker

Re: [Networker] Drive error !4

2004-10-22 10:58:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Drive error !4
From: Andrew Harkin <andrew.harkin_networker AT MCKENNAN DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:47:37 -0500
We had a very similar problem with a Dell Powervault 136T, which is actually
a rebranded Adic Scalar100.  Ours has LTO2 drives, but we were running into
the same thing.

In trying to figure out what was wrong, Dell was telling us that they
required that we use Dell branded media in their changers, as the picker and
tapes only handle that brand correctly.  We were using Maxell, which they
specifically said won't work correctly.  We found out later that Dell media
is actually just rebranded Fuji, so we bought a few of those tapes as a
test.  The problems immediately stopped, and we haven't had a single
occurrence of that problem since we filled the changer with Fuji tapes.

I was very surprised, as before the problems started, I had been doing test
backups to a couple of the Maxell tapes and they had been working fine, and
those 3 tapes still work ok to this day if we need them for long term
restores.  I didn't run into the problem until I filled the changer with 60
Maxells and started trying to use them for anything.

At another business I worked for, we had Scalar 100s, however, they had AIT
drives, I believe.  If I remember correctly, we had to use Imation data in
them, or we ran into problems.

My best recommendation would be to call up Adic's support and verify that
they recommend using whatever sort of media you have.

Hope this helps, I know firsthand how frustrating that can be.